birding-aus

Satin-Leaden Flycatchers again

To: "" <>
Subject: Satin-Leaden Flycatchers again
From: Rod Gardner <>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 10:14:01 +1000
Following up on the Leaden/Satin Flycatcher thread, I have another
question about these birds. Leaden Flycatchers are common on my local
patch in the west of Brisbane, and I’m familiar with their calls. Recently
I heard a call that was Leaden Flycatcher-like, but not one I’d heard
before. I didn’t get to see the bird, as it was in a densely vegetated
gully, but recorded the call on a digital voice recorder. When I got home
and checked it with the BOCA recordings, it was pretty much identical to
the first calls of the Satin Flycatcher on those tapes. However, according
to HANZAB, the calls of LFs and SFs are very similar, with lots of
individual variation, and it says they are separable only with practice.
Can anyone say whether that first Satin call on the BOCA tapes is
diagnostic?