birding-aus

Paradise Riflebird behaviour

To: "" <>
Subject: Paradise Riflebird behaviour
From: Trevor Quested <>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:04:16 +1000
At Kroombit Creek in Kroombit Tops National Park near Calliope, Queensland last Saturday members of the Bundaberg branch of BOCA witnessed some interesting Paradise Riflebird behaviour. A dead limb of a Sydney Blue Gum had lots of cracks and moths were emerging at around 5pm. Up to 5 Riflebirds were taking the creatures and two females were seen wing raising to each other. The Riflebirds chased other species away including Satin Bowerbirds.
When the Riflebirds left White-naped Honeyeaters enjoyed the feast.
At one of the few waterholes left in the creek below between 5 and 6pm the following species were recorded drinking: White-browed Scrubwren, Rufous Fantail, Grey Fantail, Black-faced Monarch, Large-billed Scrubwren, Brown Gerygone, Brown Thornbill, Yellow-faced Honeyeater, White-naped Honeyeater, and Lewin's Honeyeater. No Kroombit Tinker Frogs were heard at night along the creek. However, at the campsite we had great views of Sugar Glider and along the road we saw 24 Greater Gliders and for me a highlight was watching a Feather-tail Glider fly between trees. Driving in and out along Tableland Rd from the nearby town of Calliope, Squatter Pigeons were seen. Altogether we saw 100 species which is surprising as it was so dry.
Trevor Quested

Sent from my iPhone