birding-aus

Oriental Plover still there today plus Black-tailed Native Hens at Gatto

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Oriental Plover still there today plus Black-tailed Native Hens at Gatton
From: david taylor <>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 11:43:47 +1000

Myself and John Hammond were at the Oriental Plover site near Seven Mile Lagoon at 5.30 am this morning and found the bird within a short time in the original paddock as posted by Rob Morris. We had a great view of the bird. Also in the same paddock were Ground Cuckoo-shrikes and at the nearby paddock we counted 10 Banded Lapwings and a further four including young at another nearby paddock. Overall the area seemed alive with birds and we saw Whiskered Terns on the nearby seven mile Lagoon and numerous other species.

Afterwards we headed for Gatton and the UQ Campus where we there are stunning amounts of birds including up to many many hundred Magpie Geese flying in as well as the usual large numbers of Pink-eared Ducks and Plumed-whistling Ducks.

Significantly there are at least six Black-tailed Native Hens ( scarce visitor to these parts) there ( opposite bank from the hide and near the rear) and at least one Red-necked Avocet.

The Blue-billed Ducks appear to have all but moved on - we could only locate one bird.

Other species seen this morning included Buff-banded Rail, White- necked Heron, White-faced Heron, Royal Spoonbill, Great and Intermediate Egret, Brown Falcon, Australian Hobby, Nankeen Kestrel, Black-shouldered Kite, Red-kneed Dotterel, Black-froned Dotterel, Black-winged Stilt, Grey Teal, Black Duck, Chestnut-breasted Manikin, Superb and Red-backed Fairy-wrens, Golden-headed Cisticola, Little Black, Pied and Little Pied Cormorants, Cockatiel, Pale-headed Rosella, Yellow-rumped Thornbill, Fairy Matin, Rainbow Bee-eater, Dollarbird ( flock of about 30 hawking together) etc

All in all a great mornings birding with a tick for me and two for John!

cheers,

David Taylor
Brisbane