birding-aus

GGoshawk takes DMoorhen from water! -- SEQ

Subject: GGoshawk takes DMoorhen from water! -- SEQ
From: Judith L-A <>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 19:41:26 +1100
On Saturday as I was passing a farm dam in a mountain cleft at about 400m
asl, a bird-scream ruckus made me stop the car. I saw what can only have
been a grey-phase Grey Goshawk take an immature Dusky Moorhen from off the
water. The immature had been in waterweed, and a nearby adult screamed and
called incessantly during and after the taking, searching in and out of the
waterweed for the youngster. As the larger grey bird came down to take the
immature, it fumbled, (perhaps startled to find water rather than ground
beneath the green plants,) dragging its wingtips up from the surface -- then
dropped again to take the moorhen successfully. The goshawk lifted out of
the dam cleft and bore its prey heavily away, to disappear in the lower
branches of a hillside tree.
Judith