birding-aus

Thanks, RE: RFI: Babbler altitude

Subject: Thanks, RE: RFI: Babbler altitude
From: Judith L-A <>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 19:30:42 +1100
Thanks to those who replied to this query (below), especially Penny,
Grahame, Wes, & Margaret. A useful summary comes from 'the last 6 years'
in 'the Gloucester region (Mid-north coast NSW)'  where Grey-crowned
Babblers 'are vulnerable':

'We usually find them at  50 to 200m above sea level in roadside native
remnant vegetation, edges of woodland, around buildings and cattle yards -
ours don't occur in the higher eucalypt forests, and only pass through
riverine areas - they prefer open woodland with good native grasses and lots
of fallen debris from the trees in which to forage.  Nests are in a wide
variety of trees, from 3m high regrowth gums in lane-way remnant vegetation
to 20m up a tree, and in summer they even build in Liquid Amber Trees. They
also like building in pine trees and melaleucas'. Thanks, Penny! Sightings
records have been passed on, to the SEQ study.

Cheers,
Judith.