birding-aus

FW: RFI Similan Islands, West coast Thailand

To: <>, <>
Subject: FW: RFI Similan Islands, West coast Thailand
From: "Steve Potter" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 07:00:47 +1030
>From Ike

Steve Potter
Blackwood, South Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: Ike and Rosie
Sent: Monday, 19 October 2009 9:20 PM
To: Steve Potter
Subject: Re: RFI Similan Islands, West coast Thailand

Hi Steve,

Well, you may get lucky (like I did) but it won't be easy. The boats leave
Phang Nga (Thap Lamru) at around 8 or 9 and don't get there until 10 or
more. Then there is lunch on the island, a little more time and off to the
next island. They do not stay on Koh Miang for the day, which means if you
want a boat, you'll have to leave with them or stay overnight.
Nicobar is not a given during the day and in the open season it can get VERY

crowded with tourists all camping out and snoozing around the beach. I saw
the Nicobar at around 4 PM (1 bird) and the bext day at 6 AM when there were

litterally 40 birds in the vicinity of the campsite. I'd say be prepared to
stay overnight.
Tents are the best as they are cheap. An aircon room costs 2000 a night and
I doubt they are available. Be prepared as they are nothing special and the
beds are lumpy. Non-aircon bungalows are worse, with holes in the screens
which let in the bugs. Again tents are the best option if on a budget. Food
can be ridiculously expensive but unless you bring instant noodles, there is

no other option available.
There are a small number of birds and an overnight stay should insure you
see all of them.
the baot trip will hurt on the budget. It will cost somewhere between 2400
or more for a round trip. That will not include the meals in the island or
the park entry fee, which must be paid at the island. I went last year and
took medsye company (www.medsye.com or www.similanthailand.com ) which did
an excellent job on transfers and allowed us some very good snorkeling on
the second day on the way home. the snorkeling is a MUST or you will regret
it afterwards, as it is absolutely spectacular!
Hope that helps,

Ike