birding-aus

Gurney's Eagle

To: <>
Subject: Gurney's Eagle
From: "Geoffrey Jones" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 17:15:55 +1100
Hi Everyone

                 As most of you know I have just spent 3 weeks in PNG and
for me it was some of the toughest photography that I have done, for the
birds on the whole do not respond greatly to birdcall and when they do they
tend to keep their distance and not show themselves out in the open, don't
get me wrong as for people birding just a quick glimpse will give you a tick
but for photography I am trying to give a very detailed photo in most cases.
All in all I managed to photograph 120 species of which 90 are not found in
Australia and on the second last day as we were looking at a Yellow-billed
Kingfisher at Variata Nat Park I noticed what I thought was a Wedgetailed
Eagle flying fairly high above the ground and snapped off a couple of shots,
it was only after I had shown some of the people on the trip that I was told
the photos were a Gurney's Eagle so I have posted them to my website but
please remember the bird is at a distance. If you look at the photos you
will see how small the head is compared to a Wedgie.
http://barraimaging.com.au/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=lastup
<http://barraimaging.com.au/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=0>
&cat=0

Over the coming weeks I will try and post as many of the PNG birds that I
can Kindest Regards Geoff Jones