birding-aus

broome birds-yellow wagtail, barn swallow approx 50 little curlews

To: birding aus <>
Subject: broome birds-yellow wagtail, barn swallow approx 50 little curlews
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 17:57:32 +1030
I went bird watching at Roebuck bay this morning and saw a good range
of waders, but only what would be expected.   The waders are very
flighty in Roebuck Bay, much more flighty than where I have mainly
watched waders before at St Kilda in SA.  At St Kilda it is watching
from a vehicle, but this doesn't account for the difference, as at
Roebuck Bay if you drive to the edge of the clifftop in your car, the
waders will still flush and you will be forlornly looking at a flock
disappearing into the distance.

I learnt about keeping low this  morning.  I saw a woman, sitting on a
chair watching waders and I thought to myself, that is a good idea for
comfort.  When I walked up to her and started to set up my tripod, she
made it clear that keeping low was aboiut not scaring the birds!   I
decided to leave her to it and went on to another spot and put the
keeping low method into practice to good effect-kneeling looking
through my scope!   There were a huge number of waders for me to trawl
through.

Unfortunately this new method of keeping low meant that I lost my
reading glasses out of my top pocket and I am typing this with my old
pair, so everything is a bit blurry. When I reported my glasses to
bird observatory office the guy there told me that he had seen barn
swallow and yellow wagtail at sewerage works, yesterday.

As soon as I started down the eastern track of sewerage works, there
was the yellow wagtail.  It gave extended views throught the scope
until a australian goshawak came over and it flew.   Before seeing the
wagtail, there was  group of tree martins on the fence and amongst
them was a barn swallow.

The little curlews on St Mary's oval have grown to around 50 in number.

while I was at the sewerage works groups of waders (bar tailed godwits
I think?) would fly over the ponds, and drop into hte water, briefly,
for drinking I assume and then fly off.  They never stopped and were
some distance off  so I couldn't ID definetly.  Do waders need to
drink fresh water?.

Gary