birding-aus

How the Dust Storm effects bird? (and an id request)

To: "Stephen Ambrose" <>, "'Greg Little'" <>, "'Nathan Ruser'" <>, <>
Subject: How the Dust Storm effects bird? (and an id request)
From: "storm" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 21:44:10 +1000
No birds here this morning, even the captive rehab birds were quiet.

At Sydney Park (St Peters, NSW) this afternoon at about 3.30 the birds were
still behaving unusually. It was very windy and still dusty but visibility
was good.

 There were lots &  lots of very active swallows. There were was a large
number of ibis all sheltering in the reeds. Normally they don't turn up in
large numbers until an hour or so before dusk.

There was a bird I did not recognise and would like any help people could
offer. I watched it for about 5 min but no camera or bins.

It was white all over with a possible grey wash underneath the wings. No
obvious marks or colouration around the bill or feet. No obvious fork in
tail.

It had a wing span of about 50mm - about twice the size of a swallow and
half the size of a silver gull (both seen near the bird while it was in
flight). The wings  had a very narrow profile.

It hunted at the edge of the reeds, hovering above the water, diving in and
getting out without stopping. The bird was chased off the dam by smaller
birds. It spent most of the time flying high about the dams.

I looked at the terns and ternlets because they to fit the profile even
though it seems unlikely one would turn up in Sydney Park given it is at
least 10 - 15 km from the coast and the wind is all going east in any event.
Even the grey ternlet which (if you ignore the above factors) seemed like a
possibility has grey wash on the top of the wings as well as underneath. I
ruled out the Fairy tern because of the black cap. The white tern seemed ok
but too large.

Anyone able to put me out of my misery?

cheers
storm