birding-aus

Spot-lighting and bird/mammal vision.

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Spot-lighting and bird/mammal vision.
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 11:53:16 +1000
For those interested here is a link to Jack Pettigrew's comments as published on BirdingAus in 1997:

http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/1997-04/msg00006.html
Note that Jack makes no reference to the use of camera flash and his comments appear to be based on personal observations and not any scientifically based tests. I don't say that to in any way denigrate what Jack has written or to denigrate his knowledge and expertise but simply to point out that his is not a statement of fact. Just as my comments below are not statements of fact either but rather an opinion.

It is interesting to me that no one has bothered to investigate this at a clinical level considering the continuing interest in this topic and the continuing dissemination of very subjective statements about how spotlights and camera flash cause or do not cause damage to birds eyes.

Maybe a prospective PhD student who is struggling to find something worthy to study which hasn't been done before could take up the challenge. But that would mean at least another 3 years would pass before we would have the (possibly) definitive answer to this perennial question. Perhaps in the meantime one of the many actually appropriately qualified academics who inhabit the periphery of this group** could point us mere mortals in the direction of some resource which explains in understandable detail the construction of the eyes of birds and how they work in comparison to the eyes of mammals.

As an additional contribution to the subjective comments already made (over a number of years) about this topic I can give my opinion based on my field experiences with spotlights and camera flash. Before reading my comments it would be worthwhile reading Lawrie Conole's contribution here:
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/2002-01/msg00504.html
Although I don't necessarily agree with Lawrie on every aspect of his comments I do think his posting is one of the best I have seen on this topic.

My comments: (note: the opinions expressed below are mine and mine alone. If they concur with or differ from those of other group members then that is purely coincidental.) - Bird eyes are similar in construction to but not exactly the same as the eyes of mammals. From that point of view it is fair to believe that light, especially light intensity, may affect the eyes of birds and mammals differently; - As has been stated by Jack Pettigrew (and other authorities) birds (even birds of the night) are able to look directly at the sun and put the image of the sun onto their retina without immediately causing any obvious detriment to the eye. But it would be foolish to imagine that if a bird was to look directly at the sun continuously for an hour or two that no long-term damage would be done; - No handheld spotlight that I have seen has had a light beam the power of which approached to any degree that of the sun. Perhaps there are military class spotlights which are as powerful as the sun but I don't classify a spotlight mounted on a wheeled/tracked battle-wagon or a naval vessel or a Hercules aircraft as a handheld device; - The power of the light-output of a camera flash is probably greater than that of any handheld spotlight but the duration of the flash is extremely short often in the realm of thousandths of a second (more on flash below); - Birds are often also able to filter out different colours thus making their vision more capable than that of mammals. Perhaps this may also help birds to cope with the intensity of some light sources - that is a personal thought and I have no evidence to back that up; - The power of the light-output of a spotlight is more critical with mammals than with birds therefore spotlighting mammals should probably be done with greater care using the lowest powered light as is practical. The ideal would be to have two spotlights, one for the birds and one for the mammals but that would not generally be practical when spotlighting alone; - There is a revolution in torches taking place right now in that semi-conductor replacements for the conventional light bulb are appearing on the market which are a reasonable replacement for 'conventional' spotlight bulbs in many cases. These devices are described as Super-bright LEDs. That is, they are Light Emitting Diodes (LED) which emit an extremely bright light. This light is not yet as powerful as the more powerful 'conventional' spotlights but some models of spotlights and torches fitted with these super-bright LEDs are quite useful and effective. They also have the advantages of lighter weight (they only need 'D' or 'AAA' size rechargeable cells) and the batteries last a lot longer on a single charge than the average wet-cell battery spotlight. I recently spotlighted with a 3 cell Maglite fitted with a Maglite super-bright LED conversion unit and 3 rechargeable AAA cells (in AAA to D size adapters) on my trip to North Queensland and I am totally sold on the concept. Now I plan to convert my various handheld spotlights to super-bright LED technology using conversion kits available over the WWW. These conversion units are simple devices that look like the bulb they replace and the conversion process usually consists of simply removing the existing bulb and inserting the new LED unit;

Many of the bird photos in my new photo gallery at http://ptiloris.smugmug.com/Bird-Photography-Trips were taken using flash. I have been using flash in bird photography for many years and have formed some definite opinions about the effect on the bird subjects: - I don't believe that photographic flash has any immediate detrimental effect on birds. I am not sure about the long term effect of continuous use of flash on the same bird but I would think that the bird would have to be subjected to an inordinate number of flash cycles before any long term damage was done. I would be delighted to be enlightened by any genuine contrary conclusions obtained by genuine repeatable research; - None of the birds I have photographed using flash has appeared to blink or look away as a result of the flash going off and I have never managed to get a photo of a bird blinking at the moment the flash went off. Birds that have looked away while I was photographing them with flash did so slowly and in a manner which could be interpreted as lacking concern if not mild annoyance. Some subjects have 'bounced' a few centimetres from their perch in reaction to the flash but they have always returned immediately to the perch without loss of balance or any appearance of disorientation. My interpretation of this reaction has been that something happened which the bird did not anticipate and thus the reaction was involuntary and a simple response to a sudden change in the scene. In all cases the birds quickly settled down and continued on with their activities, including foraging, without further reaction to the subsequent flash cycles. That being said, I do not advocate the use of 'flash extenders' in combination with the latest high-power flash units simply because these latest flash units are quite powerful enough and extenders tend to 'over-flash' the recorded image - in my opinion; - The Sooty Owl in the above mentioned photo gallery actually flew into the area lit-up by my spotlight (red cellophane filter equipped) and stared unblinkingly at me while I took several flash assisted photos. After a few minutes the bird flew off into the darkness confidently and without appearing to bump into anything; - One difficulty in photographing birds at night is being able to focus on the subject in the low light so a fairly high-powered spotlight is a great aid. I now use a spotlight with a red filter and the birds seem un-phased while the camera seems to auto-focus even quicker than when using "white" light.

This can be an emotion-inducing and divisive topic but I hope that everyone reads what I have written above with an open mind. I genuinely believe that birds are not adversely affected by the use of powerful spotlights but mammals are a different proposition. In my experience it is obvious that many mammals are uncomfortable in the beams of high-powered spotlights especially if the light is unfiltered. Spotlights with red filters seem to have only a minor effect on mammals, in my experience, and sometimes the creatures seem to take advantage of that sort of light to assist them with their foraging.

I don't believe that any of the birds I have photographed while using spotlights and flash have been harmed by that activity. However, I would be reluctant to participate in a group photography session where multiple spotlights and flash units were to be used for a prolonged period of time, that is, several minutes at a time.

Last of all, perhaps "Chris" could provide more details about the paper he/she mentioned in his/her posting titled LED of Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:38:01 -0700 (PDT).

** I can fully understand why some people are reluctant to enter into public discussion of some of the topics presented on BirdingAus so I would be quite prepared to act as a go-between for any "actually appropriately qualified academic" who has worthwhile information on this topic. I will pass on the info to the BirdingAus group while maintaining that person's anonymity if they so desire.

Cheers
Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point
Qld