birding-aus

Fwd: Ashmore Reef threatened by oil....

To: birding birding-aus <>
Subject: Fwd: Ashmore Reef threatened by oil....
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 11:35:17 +1000
 Messages from Barry Traill about Ashmore Reef and threats from the
oil spill near there:

Oil spill threatens Ashmore Reef off Kimberley coast

Does anyone have quality film footage of Ashmore Reef and seabirds?

Birdwatchers are probably already well aware of the horrific oil spill off the Kimberley coast. The Government has admitted that sea birds
have been oiled and the latest information is unfortunately that the
spill is now very close to Ashmore Reef.  To help show the possible
effects of the oil it may be very important to provide high quality
footage of Ashmore Reef and its birds and other wildlife to the media.

If anyone has access to such footage would they be able to email
myself – Barry Traill and because I will be away for next few days also John Carey ) John
is our Kimberley campaigner.  Please note we are only interested in
high quality footage of the island, reef, its birds and other
wildlife.  It is not definite that we would use such footage but it
would be wonderful to know what is around in case its valuable in
highlighting the terrible cost in lost birds and other wildlife. Also as I am away and John is flat chat trying to cover the issue we may
not be able to get back to you quickly.   Just send an email
indicating you have some footage that may be useful that would be
greatly appreciated.  We’ll get back to you when we can.

Separately- if Birding Oz readers would like to send a message to the Federal Government to act properly on this terrible disaster there is a petition to the Prime Minister athttp://www.saveourmarinelife.org.au/

Signing it and passing it on to friends would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Barry Traill
Director, Wild Australia Program, Pew Environment Group