birding-aus

RFI - Griffith NSW region

To: <>, ? birding-aus <>
Subject: RFI - Griffith NSW region
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 17:58:11 +1000
A few people have asked about Griffith - and the MFN brochures are a good
start. Rankins Springs also has a bird trail (including Pulletop NR) but I am
not certain how much info is around about that. David Parker who at least looks
at this list may provide some more recent info but here are my comments. There
may be some of my previous comments in the archives as well. In many ways the
Birding around Griffith can vary on conditions 2005 was a sensational year and
apparently last year was also pretty good, but other years can be quieter -
spring is definitely the time of year, but the wetlands near Griffith depend on
irrigation or environmental water.
Cocoparra is one of the under-appreciated National Parks in NSW. Depending on
what you see I would recommend Spring Hill, Jacks Creek and possibly Mailman's
Gap (which isn't on the brochures) as the best spots. Camping at Woolshed Flat
is generally pretty quiet (people-wise)and there are some good short walks
around here.
Binya SF probably has better birds (it is the generally more fertile flats) and
is the spot for Painted Honeyeaters (listen out on the Whitton Stock Route
which runs off the Burley Griffin Way).
Lake Wyangan has some good open water, but the better birds are at Nericon and
Campbells Swamps (if they have water) - Fivebough Swamp at nearby Leeton is
usually a better option as it has virtually permanent water, plus Sewage Works
are accessable there as well (I used to jump the fence 15 years ago at Griffith
STP but I am not certain about entry these days).
Along the Murrumbidgee River around Darlington Point is the best spot to see
Superb Parrots.
Further afield Stackpoole and Jimberoo State Forests are possibly worth a visit
as is Loughnan Nature Reserve and I am unsure about Barren Box Swamp but there
are wetlands out that way as well.
Let me know if you have any target species and I will try and give potential
sites.
Cheers,
Peter