birding-aus

Whistling Kites attacking Silver Gull

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Whistling Kites attacking Silver Gull
From: "Trevor Ford" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 12:03:09 +1000
G'day,

I have seen Whistling Kites attack both Silver Gulls and Crested Terns off
Bribie Island (70 km north of Brisbane, SEQ) several times. On one occasion,
two kites ganged up to attack a solitary gull. They forced it down onto the
surface of the water where they took turns to descend on it from their wheeling
above and clobber it again and again. After a while, perhaps five minutes or
so, all that I could make out was a lifeless body floating on the surface of
the water.

However, try as they might, neither kite could carry the body away, only
managing to lift it off the surface and carrying it for a couple of feet before
dropping it. After another five minutes or so they gave up and flew away.

Now if only they had worked out that they should have grabbed one leg each and
carried it in tandem!

I would have to rummage through my notes but I'm pretty sure that I've also see
a couple of Whistling Kites attacking a lone Brahminy Kite.

Cheers - Trevor.

Trevor Ford