birding-aus

Zitting Cisticola at Koumala, Qld

To: "" <>
Subject: Zitting Cisticola at Koumala, Qld
From: Trevor Quested <>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 15:42:22 +1000
Today I travelled from Mackay south through Sarina to Koumala. I turned off the Bruce Highway into Landing Road which leads to Rocky Dam Creek boat ramp. Either side of the road is sugar cane. At S21.34.51 E149.15.59 I saw cisticolas leaving the cane and collecting Snake Weed from beside the road and disappearing back into the cane. Once out of the car I could hear the lik-lik call of Zitting Cisticolas. Looking at the birds I confirmed they were indeed Zitting not Golden-headed. We stopped the car at several spots along the road and saw more birds. I took lots of photos and clearly the white not buff tip to the tail is visible. I estimate I saw 40 Zitting Cisticolas. Further along the road I saw Golden-headed in less dense vegetation. There is an excellent extensive wetland further along Landing Rd. I saw Whiskered and Gull-billed Terns, Swamp Harrier and many common swamp species.
Trevor Quested
Bundaberg Qld

Sent from my iPhone