birding-aus

Iluka NSW .... Feral Red junglefowl?

To: Jeff Davies <>
Subject: Iluka NSW .... Feral Red junglefowl?
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 16:29:08 +1000
Hi Jeff,

There might be more fighting birds around than we know about seeing as cock fighting is illegal. When I was with AQIS, people were regularly nabbed trying to bring in fighting bird eggs or chicks. One guy was caught with a quarter grown bird, fortunately sedated, stuffed down his trouser leg.

I know the fighting birds are much more leggy than the average back yard chook, but I was wondering how many generations in it would take in for that and other domesticated bird characteristics to disappear in the wild.

The first sighting I had of a bird I could fairly confidently tick as a RJF was at the back of an army camp near Poert Dickson, Malaysia and the best sighting was of a rooster, a couple of hens and a brood of chicks, in the forest beside the shore at the southern end of Lake Temmengor, in Perak, Malaysia. The people in the Orang Asli village I was staying at there were running RJF as domestics. They would raid the nests of RJF in the forest and stick the eggs under an old layer to build up the flocks. I didn't tick them.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford