birding-aus

Maybe Intermediate Egret in Yarra, Burnley, Vic.

Subject: Maybe Intermediate Egret in Yarra, Burnley, Vic.
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:46:44 +0800 (WST)
When I drive round Alexandra Avenue citywards from the MacRob bridge at Grange
Road, I always snatch a very quick look to see if there is a Great Egret
fishing on the
Burnley bank, off Loy's Paddock.
 There was an Egret there this morning, about 9.20 am, but it did
not seem to have enough neck for a GE - which has a longer head and neck
than body.  This morning's bird seemed to have equal head+neck
and body length, and neck a bit thick too.
  I suspect it was an Intermediate Egret. Bill was dark.
  Please, other inner-city birders, keep a lookout and let us all know.
  Yes, birding while driving makes one accident-prone. That's why it was a
glimpse
and completely unconfirmed.

Anthea Fleming