birding-aus

Plains Wanderers nesting

To: "'simon starr'" <>, "'BA email'" <>
Subject: Plains Wanderers nesting
From: "David Parker" <>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 14:53:15 +1000
Simon,

Well done! With all the time you have spent out in the grasslands it is
about time that you were rewarded!

Don't be too surprised by though this event. Generally spring is the
main breeding period for Plains-wanderers, however breeding has been
recorded in most months of the year, particularly in response to
favourable rain. Second or even third clutches may be laid in summer if
sufficient rain falls.

With the rainfall that the Riverina has been experiencing of recent
months I am not too surprised that breeding has occurred. Pairs have
also been observed in the NSW Riverina and Banded Lapwings are also
nesting in force in this part of the world.

I hope your tours are continuing to be successful.

Cheers
David Parker
Griffith, NSW