birding-aus

Plains Wanderers nesting

To: "BA email" <>
Subject: Plains Wanderers nesting
From: "simon starr" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 00:07:22 +1000
Hi all,
I know we are still in the grip of  a prolonged dry ( god don't I know it !)
and I can't stand it when people come out with reasons why this year is the one
when it will all turn around ( because they are always wrong ) , but I want to
be optimistic ( there's way too much doom and gloom around) so I'm going to
bury my head in the sand ( what global warming ?) and look forward to the end
of the drought this year.   Yes, I've got a feeling ( no basis in reason ) that
this is the year.
I think the Pardalotes have found greener pastures and will return ( I really
do ).
Its quite wet out here ( northern Vic) at the moment ( I've even thought about
buying some gumboots again ).
Three of the four Malleefowl mounds I've recently checked have been active.
And this week I found a personal first, a male Plains Wanderer guarding 3
speckly eggs ( very pointed at one end).  Two minutes before the find, I was
heard to say how they normally breed in the warmer months ( well I did say
normally ).

So all in all, I think we are in for a pretty good year in the bush. And if it
isn't, well next year will be  :-)

Cheers,
Simon Starr,
Firetail tours
Pyramid hill,
Vic.

PS. Please if anyone wants to seriously discuss weather patterns, take it up
with The BOM.