birding-aus

Sydney Pelagic Trip report 11th July 2009

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Sydney Pelagic Trip report 11th July 2009
From: "Tony Palliser" <>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 16:14:17 +1000
SYDNEY PELAGIC TRIP REPORT
July 11, 2009

Overview
The Humpback Whale migration is now clearly in full swing with a wonderful
performance on display much to the delight of all on board.  No less than 10
individuals were seen with several performing wonderful breaches and flipper
splashes.  A good selection of the usual birds to be expected at this time of
year were seen but nothing out of the ordinary.

Weather conditions were calm, somewhat overcast with a slight swell and
surprisingly warm for this time of year which made for a pleasant day at sea.
Maximum are temperature reaching about 18degC. Sea temperature inshore was
17.0degC and 19.0degC at Brown's Sea Mount on the shelf. We departed Rose Bay
at 7.30am and returned at 5.00pm with a slight 1.0 metre swell and at times
almost glassy conditions prompting fewer birds than we had hoped. but a great
day indeed.

Trip Summary
The boat was at capacity with a good selection of local, interstate and
overseas birders.  Once outside the heads we headed north along the coast
watching the Hump-backed Whales, Albatross and Giant Petrels.  We detoured back
to the coastal cliffs at Dee Why to observe a Peregrine Falcon which sat
comfortably on the cliff face for all to see.  Apparently a pair have commenced
breeding at this locality for a few years now.  We then set course for Brown's
Mountain (a sea mount) located 22.5NM SSE of Sydney Heads on the continental
shelf break, once there we set about chumming but attracted very few birds.
The calm conditions had attracted many recreational fishing boats in fact over
50.  but none appeared to have any birds around them.  Although the usual
selection of Albatross species were seen it was the whales that made this day a
special one.  How often does one see whales breaching in tandem?   Once back in
the harbour we deterred towards Manly and soon located a number of Little
Penguin (a life bird for many) rafting at dusk before heading ashore.

Bird List
(Note that numbers in parenthesises represent the maximum numbers seen at
any one time)

Outside the heads

Southern Giant Petrel           2 (1)
Giant Petrel Sp                    2
Cape Petrel                        2
Providence Petrel                2 (1)
Fairy Prion                        15 (6)
Sooty Shearwater                1
Fluttering Shearwater            15-20 (5)
Wandering Albatross            4 (1) all with gibsoni plumage characteristics
Black-browed Albatross        28 (4) a good mix of Juv and adult
Yellow-nosed Albatross        7 (2)
Shy Albatross                    3 (1)
White-faced Storm Petrel    1 seen by at least one observer
Australasian Gannet            8 (2)

In the harbour

Silver Gull                           40
Crested Tern                        2  (1)
Sooty Oystercatcher                1
Little Penguin                        14 (12)
Australian Pelican                 6
Little Black Cormorant            a few in the harbour
Pied Cormorant                     a few in the harbour
Darter                                1

Other Sightings

Short-beaked Common Dolphin         20+
Humpback Whale                            10+ (2)
Peregrine Falcon                            1

The next Sydney pelagic trip will be on Saturday  8th  August, 2009 departing
Mosman
Ferry Wharf at 0645 and Rose Bay Public Wharf at 0700. Call Hal on 0411 311
236 to make a reservation.

Regards,
Tony Palliser