birding-aus

Striated Heron in savannah woodland.

Subject: Striated Heron in savannah woodland.
From: Del Richards <>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 18:07:29 +1000
About 1400 hours on 15th July whilst guiding along Holmes Creek west of Mt. Carbine I was surprised to flush a Striated Heron which was hunting tadpoles in a drying waterhole. The bird flew to a tree about 50 metres away and perched at least until we left the scene about twenty minutes later. It was a new species record for Brooklyn AWC sanctuary and the only local record for local dry savannah woodland (that I can find). It's behaviour was usual for Black Bitterns which drift west from the Wet Tropics after theWet Season and are found foraging along drying streams. This location was about eight kilometres from the Mitchell River, the nearest permanent water. Passerines also visiting the pool included Black-throated and Double-barred Finches, Chestnut-breasted Mannikins, and Brown, Yellow and White-throated Honeyeaters.

Del. Richards, Fine Feather Tours, Mossman, NQ.