birding-aus

Should Consultants Be Licensed? ShouldTheirreports Be Placed in the Publ

To: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>, <>
Subject: Should Consultants Be Licensed? ShouldTheirreports Be Placed in the Public Domain?
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:21:41 +1000
Greg,
You raise many good points.

Firstly as a small tourist operator I have not sought acreditation from any of the many schemes available. This is because they are costly for a small operator, are poorly administered and the quality control relies more on paper work than performance. I did support a move for Wet Tropics guides to be accredited as this would be a basic knowledge and skill based assesment. In this case it was the big operators who use backpackers and other travellers as guides and drivers who used their political clout to squash the move. So in light of this and your comments I might have to reconsider my first Yes.

Your paragraph about fixing the problems at the beginning and the end of the process could also include making the reports on which development applications rely, public domain documents.

This is an important debate and I thank those who have put time and energy into contributing to it.
Regards,
Alan