birding-aus

Should Consultants Be Licensed? Should Their reports Be Placed in the P

To: Carl Clifford <>
Subject: Should Consultants Be Licensed? Should Their reports Be Placed in the Public Domain?
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:35:21 +1000
Hi Carl,

It would be great if the government took some interest in standardising
effort/professionalism of consultants in the EIS game.  In lieu of that
happening (and I have no reason to believe the government is even slightly
interested in doing so), check out the group EIANZ Ecology.  Simon Mustoe
has set it up to provide a centralised group for consultants to help work
towards some industry standards.  There's already some great discussion up
there about the finer points of environment legislation.

http://eianzecology.blogspot.com/

It's probably worth noting also before the discussion gets too personal,
that yes, some consultants and consultancies don't display a lot of regard
for the environment, however I know many consultants who genuinely care and
do their utmost to protect and preserve areas they are asked to do an EIS
for, where it is appropriate from a legal and conservation perspective.  If
you don't like the outcomes, please question the framework they are working
within as much or more than the individual doing the EIS.

Regards,
Chris