birding-aus

Re: EPBC Act, species habitat and controlled actions

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: EPBC Act, species habitat and controlled actions
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 06:53:26 +0000
Hi,

I am all for removing obstacles where there is unnecessary cost. Sadly, most
projects I work on over-spend on many areas for which there is PR gain but
underspend on the really important landscape protection stuff.

Unfortunately, public opponents like to see project approvals stretch out. By
using bureaucracy for their benefit, they can win a war of attrition against
developers. However, I don't blame public opponents for this as they have no
money, very limited appeal rights and no human rights legislation, so there is
little more that can be done. If developers accepted this, then they would (and
many do) begin their consultation early and look for the line of least
resistance. But more importantly than that, they also need to deliver - it's no
good saying one thing and then failing dismally. The public have been burnt too
many times and the Australian economy now suffers the effect of extreme
scepticism caused by its own failures in the past.

Whatever happens, there will be an increase in expectation for more rigorous
assessment in the coming years. So even if efforts to shortcut processes
succeed in policy, it will just result in greater and greater levels of
friction with the public, and more time wasted. If we begin to do assessments
thoroughly and accord with all the natural principles of assessment we might
find that approvals would come faster and there would be much less financial
risk. Anyone interested - see International Association for Impact Assessment
(1999) Principles of Environmental Impact Assessment Best Practice.

I think governments and particularly larger companies are beginning to
realise this. Bird groups are particularly important and it amazes me
how little they are engaged in planning...since most bird groups have
links to all the amateur naturalist groups in an area, it makes sense
to consult with them early and first. Perhaps BA should put together a
national register?

Regards,

Simon.