birding-aus

Perth Kookaburras

To: <>
Subject: Perth Kookaburras
From: michael wood <>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 09:13:11 +0930
Hello All

Just moments ago (7am and still reasonably dark) three, possibly four, Laughing
Kookaburras piped up in Adelaide Terrace, one of the main streets in the CBD of
Perth. It immediately seemed a little strange to hear them in the centre of
such a built-up place. One wonders whether they ever make it down to the two
malls, Hay and Murray, which are just a few hundred metres away.

I’ve heard kookaburras calling -and seen them occasionally- in other Australian
capital cities. Mostly it’s been in the outer suburbs, which would make sense,
although one day there were some in suburban Flinders Park, Adelaide, which has
a reasonably vast expanse of the metropolitan area surrounding it. Anyway, I
wondered whether others had had seen them or other more unusual species in
Australian major cities.

I know early one morning in 2004 I came across a few Grey-crowned Babbler
foraging along the base of the shop window fronts in the Todd Street Mall,
Alice Springs. What an odd sight that was!

Regards,
Michael Wood