birding-aus

Canada Goose Cull

To: Carl Clifford <>, "Birding-Aus (Forum)" <>
Subject: Canada Goose Cull
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 13:37:13 +1000
While in no way defending the cull (which I also think is ridiculous), I'd
like to point out that if airlines could avoid bird strikes they would.  A
single White Ibis strike on the Gold Coast a few years back was estimated to
have cost Qantas about $3 million dollars, and any strike where a bird is
ingested into engines is heinously expensive, not just in terms of
mechanical repairs, but lost staff and flight time, replacement aircraft,
and reworking logistics.  Believe me when I say if this were as simple as
putting money into it, the problem would have been solved years ago.

Regards,
Chris