birding-aus

Hudsonian Godwit in Altona this morning

To: "" <>
Subject: Hudsonian Godwit in Altona this morning
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 09:22:48 +1000
I had good views of the Hudsonian Godwit again at the mouth of Laverton Ck this
morning. It was with the same two Bar-tailed Godwits, one reddish, one not.

As well as having a well defined bib compared to the similar coloured
Bar-tailed, its supercilium does not extend behind its eye.  It also appears to
limp when it walks.

After watching the right bird this time, from about 7.20, I had a quick glimpse
of the underwing after about an hour.  20 minutes later it flew for 10 seconds
or so, and I had clear views of both under and upper wings and tail.

The bird was still there when I left at about 9am.

Peter Shute