birding-aus

South Coast NSW Trip Report

To: birding australia <>
Subject: South Coast NSW Trip Report
From: Grant Brosie <>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 03:11:00 -0700 (PDT)
Everyone,

Nick Livanos and I spent a very pleasant 2 nights in Eden early this week. Our
route was via Canberra and Cooma on the way down and the coast coming home. We
left Newcastle at a chilly 4:30am and pulled into Canberra at a freezing 9am
ready to start year ticking. Below are our stops and special species seen.

DAY 1

Jerrabomberra Wetlands (Canberra):
5+ Common Skylark displaying (Yr tick)
20+ Aust. Shoveler
5 Hoary-headed Grebe
5 European Greenfinch (only our 2nd sighting ever)

Callum Brae NR (Canberra):
4 Diamond Firetail
3+ Speckled Warbler
5+ Buff-rumped Thornbill
10 Flame Robin (Yr tick)
5 Scarlet Robin

South-east Forests NP (Snowy Hwy):
2 Gang-gang Cockatoo
1 Superb Lyrebird

Tathra Nature Reserve:
1+ Crescent Honeyeater (Yr tick)
5+ Yellow-tufted Honeyeater
1 Superb Lyrebird
2 Glossy Black-cockatoo

Tathra (Headland)
5 Yellow-nosed Albatross (Yr tick)
2 Fluttering Shearwater

DAY 2

Green Cape, Ben Boyd NP (Heath):
3+ Striated Fieldwren (Tick for me and my 400th species for NSW, Nick's second
sighting)
10+ Tawny-crowned Honeyeater
2 honking White-bellied Sea-eagle

Green Cape, Ben Boyd NP (Seawatch from Lighthouse)
1-2 Little Penguin
40-50 Yellow-nosed Albatross
20+ Shy Albatross (Tick for both)
10+ Black-browed Albatross
1 BULLER'S ALBATROSS (Mega tick for both)
1 Northern Giant Petrel (second sighting)
10+ Fluttering Shearwater
1-2 Brown Skua (second sighting)
5 Black-faced Cormorant (second sighting)
4 Pacific Gull (Yr tick)
10+ White-fronted Tern (Yr tick)

By far the best sea watch we've ever done! All the albatross were observed
sitting on the water around 4 fishing boats at a distance of 400-800m. At
several stages all 4 species could be see in the one view! Watching the
Giant-petrel square up against a Shy Alby was pretty awesome too.

DAY 3

Ulladulla Headland:
1 Shy Albatross
5+ Black-browed Albatross
15+ Sooty Oystercatcher

Lake Conjola:
Double-banded Plover
Red-capped Plover
Bar-tailed Godwit

Barrara:
1 Osprey

Barren Grounds NR:
Nothing!
Very, very windy and extremely cold.

In summary: Nick saw 2 lifers and I got 3. We both got 12 year ticks. Biggest
dip was Hooded Plover, with Ground Parrot and Eastern Bristlebird lesser dips.
Bird of the trip was certainly the Buller's!

Cheers,
Grant Brosie
Raworth, NSW

      Need a Holiday? Win a $10,000 Holiday of your choice. Enter
now.http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJxN2x2ZmNpBF9zAzIwMjM2MTY2MTMEdG1fZG1lY2gDVGV4dCBMaW5rBHRtX2xuawNVMTEwMzk3NwR0bV9uZXQDWWFob28hBHRtX3BvcwN0YWdsaW5lBHRtX3BwdHkDYXVueg--/SIG=14600t3ni/**http%3A//au.rd.yahoo.com/mail/tagline/creativeholidays/*http%3A//au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset/%3Fp1=other%26p2=au%26p3=mailtagline