birding-aus

Melbourne birding trip (was RFI Victorian birders)

To: Russ Namitz <>
Subject: Melbourne birding trip (was RFI Victorian birders)
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:09:48 +1000
Stop at Eden. You might flush a ground parrot at Ben Boyd NP and they had a nice bakery there [15 years ago].

Regards, Laurie.

On 11/06/2009, at 4:13 PM, Paul Dodd wrote:

Hi Russ,

Can I suggest some changes to your schedule for practical reasons? Driving from Lorne to Phillip Island is 3.5 hours at least, then the following day you're planning to drive BACK from Phillip Island to Braeside, etc - about
1.5 hours. Here is a slightly different schedule:

6/19 Birding Point Addis, etc - overnight Torquay
6/20 Birding You Yangs, WTP - overnight Torquay
6/21 Birding Lorne - overnight Melbourne? Mount Dandenong?
6/22 Birding Sherbrooke - overnight Phillip Island
6/23 Birding Wilson's Prom - overnight Wilson's Prom
6/24 Birding Cape Conran - overnight Cape Conran
6/25 Birding ?? - overnight Moruya?
6/26 Birding Barren Grounds - overnight Wollongong

Your schedules for 19th and 20th are fine, however, if there is any way to do Lorne on 20th and WTP/You Yangs on 21st, I would do it that way round to
avoid driving back from WTP or You Yangs to Torquay.

Either way, you should overnight on 21st in Melbourne, or if you're up to
it, Mount Dandenong, so you can be in Sherbrooke forest early in the
morning. I'm not sure that I would worry too much about Edithvale - the hide won't be open on the day that you're proposing, Seaford (the swamp is just about dry). Braeside is good, but there's probably nothing here that you
won't have already seen at WTP and on the western side of Melbourne.

Is there a reason for going to Phillip Island (other than it's a lovely
place)? If you want to see the Penguin Parade, you'll need to leave
Melbourne/Sherbrooke in plenty of time to get to the island, get to the penguins, etc. That's quite a few hours. If you want to see Little Penguin, then stay overnight in Melbourne on 21st and do one of the St Kilda penguin
trips.

Wilson's Prom is lovely - a very long drive though. You would be well
advised to stay at Tidal River (they have cabins). Wilson's Prom to Cape
Conran is a long drive (4-5 hours), so leave with plenty of time. Cape
Conran has self-catering huts and wilderness retreats. Be warned, there's not much around for food - the nearest "town" is Marlo, which is only a
small collection of buildings.

For your pelagic, you'll want to stay overnight in Wollongong on 26th.
Working backwards then, that means you can bird Barren Grounds on the
afternoon of the 26th, looking for Eastern Bristlebird. You will not be able
to drive from Cape Conran to Wollongong and have any time for birding
anywhere, so that means you'll need to break your journey. There are lots of pleasant towns on the coast - Moruya is about half-way, for example. Unless any NSW birders have any suggestions, just choose a town to stop at along
the way.

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria