birding-aus

Superb Parrot in the news

To: Baus <>, Graham Turner <>
Subject: Superb Parrot in the news
From: Rob Geraghty <>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 00:36:07 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Graham,

There is an assumption you seem to have made which doesn't have to be the case
at all; that the only place to cut timber is in native forest.  There's (IMO)
large areas of land in Australia which have been deforested that should be
reforested with plantation timber.  There's no reason why many native species
can't be grown in a plantation style (red cedar being an unfortunate
exception).  The main issue is that people generally don't want their land
"unproductive" for the 20 or more years it takes to grow harvestable size logs.

It should also be mentioned that the forestry people responding to the
situation with the Superb Parrot say that they are using sustainable practices
and are *not* clearfelling.  However, the issue appears to be that they are
logging in areas which are supposed to be protected.

One possible solution to supplying timber could be to plant trees on the
borders of fields rather than having no trees at all.  I've seen this idea on
Landline.  It has the potential to provide an additional income in the future
for the farmers, as well as providing a windbreak to reduce soil erosion, and
habitat for birds which in turn help to reduce insect pests.

But I certainly agree with you Graham that it's not good if we protect our
forests while destroying habitat by proxy elsewhere.

Rob
=======
Rob Geraghty