birding-aus

Duck Shooting at the Western Treatment Plant

Subject: Duck Shooting at the Western Treatment Plant
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 14:23:51 +1000
On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 01:30:41PM +1000, Carl Clifford wrote:
> That loop hole can be closed with a stroke of the pen by the relevant
> Minister by extending the boundaries of the sanctuary. Also shooting out
> over the bay should be a no-no on public safety grounds. A 12 gauge
> shotgun, with a 31/2" shell with a good charge of powder and large shot,
> is still potentially harmful at ranges of several hundred meters,
> particularly if one is shooting high; what goes up, comes down at 9.8m/s
> squared.

I remember the sound of pellets raining into the water close by during
duck hunting protests.  Due to their small mass their terminal velocity
of shotgun pellets isn't that high and they are hence not very dangerous
returning to earth after been fired (nearly) vertically - you wouldn't
want to be hit in the eye though.  Larger calibre bullets have a higher
terminal velocity, a fraction of their muzzle velocity but enough to
cause injury or death after being fired vertically.

Andrew