birding-aus

Eastern Bristlebird or Pilotbird at Wilson's Promontory??

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Eastern Bristlebird or Pilotbird at Wilson's Promontory??
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:00:49 +1000
It's interesting what you find when going back over old field notebooks!
While dredging through one from 1991 I came across a record that struck me
as rather interesting, even though at first I could barely remember the
occasion.  At that time I had led a trip by the Fauna Survey Group (of the
Field Naturalist Club of Victoria - FNCV) to Wilsons Promontory National
Park in southern Victoria - we were there to discuss setting up some surveys
for New Holland Mouse.  Due to our exalted status as free expert labour we
were permitted to camp out in the bush rather than in one of the official
campgrounds!  We camped at Cotters Lake, in the scrub, for a couple of
nights.

The record that caught my eye in the notes was "Pilotbird - 2 birds calling
from ridgeline in the swamp covered in teatree scrub" (the ridge, not the
birds).  There are apparently no Pilotbirds on the 'Prom (Vic Wildlife
Atlas), and though possible in that habitat, perhaps not so likely.  It does
of course raise the issue of Eastern Bristlebird, which speculation and
tantalising unconfirmed records suggest to have once perhaps been present on
the 'Prom and South Gippsland.  George Appleby on this very list in 1998
mentioned having briefly seen a bristlebird-like bird at Cotters Lake.  For
some reason it didn't inspire me to investigate further at the time.

My reason for raising this now is that Eastern Bristlebirds are perilously
rare in Victoria, we've recently had a big fire at the 'Prom, and to ask if
there's anything further been added to the speculation about Eastern
Bristlebirds having once been, or persisting, at the 'Prom??

cheers -- Lawrie Conole

Trip list:

COTTERS LAKE, WILSONS PROMONTORY NATIONAL PARK, VICTORIA.
26 - 27 April 1991  (Seabirds on nearby beach, alive &/or beachwashed)

Emu                                  Dromaius novaehollandiae
Short-tailed Shearwater              Ardenna tenuirostris
Fluttering Shearwater                Puffinus gavia
Little Penguin                       Eudyptula minor
Australasian Gannet                  Morus serrator
White-faced Heron                    Egretta novaehollandiae
Sooty Oystercatcher                  Haematopus fuliginosus
Hooded Plover                        Thinornis rubricollis
Pacific Gull                         Larus pacificus
Silver Gull                          Croicocephalus novaehollandiae
Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo         Calyptorhynchus funereus
Galah                                Eolophus roseicapillus
Rainbow Lorikeet                     Trichoglossus haematodus
Crimson Rosella                      Platycercus elegans
Southern Boobook                     Ninox boobook
Laughing Kookaburra                  Dacelo novaeguineae
Superb Fairy-wren                    Malurus cyaneus
?????Eastern Bristlebird/Pilotbird?????
White-browed Scrubwren               Sericornis frontalis
Striated Thornbill                   Acanthiza lineata
Brown Thornbill                      Acanthiza pusilla
Eastern Spinebill                    Acanthorhynchus tenuirostris
Yellow-faced Honeyeater              Lichenostomus chrysops
Little Wattlebird                    Anthochaera chrysoptera
Red Wattlebird                       Anthochaera carunculata
Tawny-crowned Honeyeater             Glyciphila melanops
Crescent Honeyeater                  Phylidonyris pyrrhopterus
New Holland Honeyeater               Phylidonyris novaehollandiae
Eastern Whipbird                     Psophodes olivaceus
Olive Whistler                       Pachycephala olivacea
Golden Whistler                      Pachycephala pectoralis
Grey Shrike-thrush                   Colluricincla harmonica
Grey Butcherbird                     Cracticus torquatus
Australian Magpie                    Gymnorhina tibicen
Grey Currawong                       Strepera versicolor
Grey Fantail                         Rhipidura albiscapa
Willie Wagtail                       Rhipidura leucophrys
Forest Raven                         Corvus tasmanicus
Magpie-lark                          Grallina cyanoleuca
Jacky Winter                         Microeca fascinans
Eastern Yellow Robin                 Eopsaltria australis
Welcome Swallow                      Hirundo neoxena
Bassian Thrush                       Zoothera lunulata
Common Blackbird                     Turdus merula
Common Starling                      Sturnus vulgaris
Beautiful Firetail                   Stagonopleura bella

Common Wombat                        Vombatus ursinus
Eastern Grey Kangaroo                Macropus giganteus
White-striped Freetail-bat           Tadarida australis
Fox                                  Vulpes vulpes
Rabbit                               Oryctolagus cuniculus
Hog Deer                             Axis porcinus

Common Eastern Froglet               Crinia signifera
Smooth Frog                          Geocrinia laevis
Brown-striped Frog                   Limnodynastes peronii
Haswell's Frog                       Paracrinia haswelli
Brown Tree Frog                      Litoria ewingii
Verreaux's Tree Frog                 Litoria verreauxii

Bold-striped Cool-skink              Bassiana duperreyi

Common Brown                         Heteronympha merope
Australian Admiral                   Vanessa itea
Common Grass-Blue                    Zizina labradas

61 species

--
Lawrie Conole