birding-aus

Pied Imperial Pigeon

To: "'Alan McBride'" <>
Subject: Pied Imperial Pigeon
From: "Jon Irvine" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 22:44:30 +1000
Hi Alan,

Fortunately I'm not suggesting that it is an escapee. I was just responding
to Greg's and Dave's comments re the possibility of local escapees. Greg
asked if anyone knew if there were categorically no captive PIPs in NSW.
Dave stated that you cannot prove that there aren't any captives in NSW, you
can only prove that there are. Auburn Botanic Gardens has quite a few exotic
pigeons including PIPs. If the PIP in Newport is later joined by emancipated
Bleeding Heart Doves, White-breasted Ground Doves and Cape Barren Geese
(yes, Auburn has those too, presumably wing-clipped ones, so unlikely to get
as far as Shoalhaven!) we shall know what's happened!!! As you say, it's a
personal decision as to whether you regard it as a wild bird or as an
escapee as usually these things cannot be definitively proved. For some
people it's a thorny issue isn't it? Not that it applies to this bird, but
how do the state or national rarities commissions evaluate the potential of
exotic escapees objectively? I guess it will be just on the probability,
taking things like dispersal ability and points of origin into
consideration, of one against the other.

Cheers,

Jono