birding-aus

Immature Parrot-finches at Mt. Lewis.

Subject: Immature Parrot-finches at Mt. Lewis.
From: Del Richards <>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:15:53 +1000
On a visit to Mt.Lewis last Wednesday (15/04) with John Rawsthorne of Forbes NSW I was pleasantly surprised to locate eleven Blue-faced Parrot-finches, the number including at least four immatures. Due to the early Wet, grasses are still carrying good quantity of seed which is suiting these birds as well as more than usual Red-browed Firetails. The first pair of Parrot finches were located mid way up the mountain drive which was unexpected. Along the way we encountered three Russet-tailed Thrush. Two of them were "doing a shuffle" on the roadside in order to disturd small insects in leaf litter. We saw a number of Bower's Shrike-thrush, one female Golden Bowerbird and several Atherton Scrub-wrens, one with dependent young. Also Noisy Pitta. We spent the afternoon in savannah woodland north of Mareeba. The noteable event was witnessing a Grey Butcherbird attack an unsuspecting male Painted Button-quail. It seemed a rather ambitious strike by the butcherbird as it's prey may have out weighed the butcherbird. The button-quail took flight above the low patchy canopy and landed at least seventy metres away. This poses the question that tropical button-quail and their young may be on the menu for both this and the Pied and Black-backed Butcherbirds? Studies relating to the Golden-shouldered Parrot have proven that their free flying young have difficulty in escaping such predation. Could this also be a factor in the rarity of the Buff-breasted Button-quail?

Del. Richards, Fine Feather Tours, Mossman, NQ.