birding-aus

10 birds as tourism attraction

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: 10 birds as tourism attraction
From: Gunnar Engblom <>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 21:25:30 -0500
Hello Aussie birders....

You are doing well on suggestions - although as a vegetarian I don't
know about KFC....and not particularly unique...but I agree it is a
bit a tourist trap as well.

I like Elizabeth´s list. They are mostly birds I have heard of and
connect with Australia and have that WOW factor. I would add the
Bowerbird  as Rob suggests. It does have that - "WOW...as seen on
Attenborough" - effect.

Including regional endemics in the list is a good call as Laurie
suggests, but they have to be birds that a non-birder would be willing
to travel to see. I just looked in my Slater field guide, and hand on
heart, I doubt I'd get my non-birding wife to take a flight to see
Eyran Grasswren.

By all means, a list for birders with the top 10 most wanted birds
would probably include several regional birds, and such an excersize
is for a different public.

Saludos

Gunnar

--