birding-aus

beach stone curlew, moreton bay, se qld

Subject: beach stone curlew, moreton bay, se qld
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 02:00:51 -0400
 hi all
someone recently wondered about the fate of the beach stone curlews in moreton
bay following the oil spill.
i can report that at least one is alive and well after a very close encounter
on sat mar 28 (forgive the late posting, i've been away).
i was checking the tidal flats off the mangroves sth of amity point on nth
stradbroke island when one popped its head above a dune and made a beeline for
me. i've never heard of them being aggressive but i backed away slowly in case
it had a nest nearby.
but as i left it kept following me! so i fetched my camera and got some great
pix as this handsome bird came up to to within 5m of me and was in no hurry to
leave.
i've just posted a selection on www.pbase.com/brucehighway/birds if anyone is
interested plus a few others from recent travels.
happy birding
shane b
ascot q