birding-aus

AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER - BOAT HARBOUR, SYDNEY - 17.3.09

To: "'Birding-Aus Aus'" <>
Subject: AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER - BOAT HARBOUR, SYDNEY - 17.3.09
From: "Graham Buchan" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 20:00:20 +1100
Hi Folks,

Went down to Boat Harbour today with Ray Gobbe (and met 2 birders there).
It's an AGP! Exclamation marks because I went through hell trying to
identify an odd GP at Penrhyn Estuary some time back. In retrospect with the
benefit of today's sighting of AGP, what I saw at Penrhyn was not an AGP.

Back to the bird - grey looking (not golden), with almost white eyebrow (not
yellowish), short legs, dumpy look, flatter body line than adjacent PGPs,
4-primary projection, new tertial feather pattern was very different from
adjacent PGPs. I must congratulate Tun Pin Ong for his persistence when many
(including myself) were so initially skeptical - the sequence of bird photos
by Tun Pin and lately by others finally convinced me last night that it was
likely AGP. Today's viewing confirmed it.

If you haven't seen it yet, do go - the last in fact only accepted one was
1995(?).

Well done, Tun Pin!

Cheers,

Graham Buchan