birding-aus

Chris Ross' comments about Cockatoos.

To: Wendy <>
Subject: Chris Ross' comments about Cockatoos.
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 17:32:08 +1100
Another activity I've observed Sulphur-cresteds doing is one (presumed male) picking off a nice fluffy bunch of gum flowers and presenting it to the presumed mate, who takes it, then drops it. This is repeated again and again, hence the ground underneath being littered with neatly pruned gum flowers.
I saw the doco you refer to, on free to air TV (probably ABC). The Kea tests
became more and more complex and the puzzle they solved was amazing.

We have long had a family pet SCC. One of many indications of intelligence
was that she started using a plastic jar lid like a cup to drink. Rather
than the laborious task of drinking by the bill full she will just pick up a
plastic lid, dip it in her water bowl and drink from the 'cup'. This was
entirely self learnt. The only teaching was we would have drink from cups in
her sight.

I was wondering about the plant snipping which I too have observed. I'm sure
I have read about it being done at regular roost sites for ease of access,
view etc. Might it also help with beak sharpening??

I reckon there is also a rogue element in cocky behaviour. Many years ago I
happened upon a large mob of YT Blacks in a pine plantation near Ballarat,
Vic. They were very tall trees so I walked in to observe the birds. They
were snipping off large green cones and flying about carrying them - a very
impressive sight. I am certain I observed some look down at me and
intentionally try to 'bomb' me with the cones. A fully grown green Pinus
radiata cone is not the type of thing you like to get hit with from that
height!

Off course. Many years ago in the days of Telecom they had lots of trouble
with cockies wrecking remote telecommunication installations. They ran test
placing various things like transmitter dishes and other things, the cockies
enjoyed wrecking, in the large aviaries at Healesville Sanctuary to see what
the cockies could do! And how to outsmart them!

Wendy