birding-aus

Chris Ross' comments about Cockatoos.

Subject: Chris Ross' comments about Cockatoos.
From: Donald Kimball <>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:22:56 -0700 (PDT)
Chris:

I am not sure if you ever saw it but on discovery channel they did some
comparative problem solving tests tailored for each species to test for
intelligence.  They used a variety of creatures. Dolphins, the great apes etc.
They also placed a puzzle on a table where wild KEA parrots from New Zealand
could find it.  In record breaking time the Kea's solved the puzzle (which
looked real complex to me) and had pulled out the food reward.  In these
surprising battery of tests the parrot even beat out the great apes in rapid
thinking and problem solving.

So....  having owned cockatoos in my aviary in Canada I will tell you that
basically in many ways you own a dog/great ape hybrid with wings.  Its easy to
overlook this and in all fairness we have been brought up to think in many
cases (at least in north america) that birds are only a bundle of instincts and
feathers.  While cockatoos are not human and I try to think realistically about
them they are very intelligent.  A hallmark of intelligent creatures is the
ability to play and do things for sheer enjoyment.  Also since birds see in
color my suggestion is as follows:   Cockatoos love shapes and colors and enjoy
playfully interacting with them.  They explore with their bills like all of the
hookbill family.  Snipping plants is simply fun and amusing.  Kind of like a
group of teens bouncing a hakey sack on their knees back and forth etc. No real
purpose except amusement.

Cheers!

Don Kimball