birding-aus

Plains wanderers

Subject: Plains wanderers
From: jay jay <>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 20:35:01 +1100
Hi all.

I saw a male and female plains wanderer at Gundagai on Sunday 8 February.
The female is very distinctive.

I saw some here several years ago but had no idea what they were so found
out.  There is no doubt that what I saw (several times) on Sunday are plains
wanderers.

My neighbour also saw the male bird twice as I tried to get a photo of him.

I got a bad photo so am now trying to get a better one but may have to wait
several years to do that going on the past gaps in these birds allowing
themselves to be seen.

I think they were out last Sunday as it was so hot on Saturday and Saturday
night, then into Sunday that they were getting very thirsty.

I watered my lawn and garden bed in case there was a fire, than there they
were but scurried off when I got near them.

Later, I watered the lawn in one bare area twice and the male bird appeared.

Several weeks back I saw what I thought was maybe two kookaburra chicks in
my yard.  I gave them water and left them alone thinking Mum bird was
teaching them to fly.  They looked nil like kookaburra chicks I realised the
other day, but are identical to the photo I now have of plains wanderer
chicks.

Anyway, this is a very very definite sighting of plains wanderers at
Gundagai but it isnt verified officially yet till someone gets a decent
photo to send to DECC.

The word Gundagai derives from the word 'Gunda.ghar' which means place of
birds (as in budgeryghar or good bird, recorded by George Bennett, first
boss of the Australian Museum,  at Yass in the 1830s).

Cheers
J.Jones
Gundagai