birding-aus

Banyule flats fire

To: "Bill Stent" <>
Subject: Banyule flats fire
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 18:13:48 +0800 (WST)
Dear Bill and any others concerned about Banyule Flats:

  We have just been up to see and we can tell you that the fire is in Yarra
Flats Park,
and not in Banyule Flats.  The Boulevard is blocked off by police between
Glenard
Drive East and Mossman Drive and at 8.30 p.m. flames were clearly visible, from
the
Mossman Drive bend,  burning a fallen tree over towards the Yarra. The fire was
also
in the grass. So were firemen and appliances.  The flames were not very high,
not
above waist high where I saw them briefly before we turned round and came away.
 There
was a lot of smoke and haze.

  It's very bad having a fire in any riverside bush park, but at least it
wasn't in
Banyule Flats whose birding values are much higher.

Anthea Fleming