birding-aus

Banyule flats fire - actually Yarra Flats

To: <>, <>
Subject: Banyule flats fire - actually Yarra Flats
From: Adam Edmonds <>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 21:06:15 +1100
Hello all
Need to clarify that Age article - the fire was not in Banyule Flats but
further to the south in Yarra Flats Park.
I was out in Banyule Flats at the time (approx 1600) and saw the smoke from up
on a hill. The fire was under the Transmission Lines and looked to be down near
the Billabongs.  I saw a water bombing helicopter trying to fill from the
Warringal Wetlands, although there wasn't much water left in them.
I beat a fairly hasty retreat from the park and had to go through the smoke
that was shrouding Burgundy St in Heidelberg on the way back to the railway
station.  It looked like it was reducing in intensity by that time, approx 1700.
I have heard on the news that it reach about 6 hectares and had been burning
towards some houses on the Boulevard in Eaglemont, but no damage was done.

A little too close for comfort.

Banyule Flats was fine when I left it, although it is very dry, and there is
not much water left on the wetland itself.

Did see a juvenile Australian Owlet-Nightjar pearing at me from inside a hollow
beside the bridge across the Plenty River (it was gone when I went past on the
way back).  First for me.

An interesting day.

Adam Edmonds
Northcote> From: > To: > Date: Thu,
12 Feb 2009 09:22:33 +0100> Subject: [Birding-Aus] Banyule flats fire> >
http://www.theage.com.au/national/fire-spreads-to-innercity-20090212-85ru.html>
> Unfortunately, this is well known as one of Melbourne's birding "hot spots".
> > It seems this is now literally true.> > Bill>
==========www.birding-aus.org> birding-aus.blogspot.com> > To unsubscribe from
this mailing list, > send the message:> unsubscribe > (in the body of the
message, with no Subject line)> to: >