birding-aus

FW: [Birding-Aus] Biodiversity> Bushfire vote in the Australian - Is con

To: <>
Subject: FW: [Birding-Aus] Biodiversity> Bushfire vote in the Australian - Is conservation policy to blame for the bushfires
From: Amanda Markham <>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 18:33:44 +0930
Hi all,

I don't often comment on this list, but I also saw the Australian's poll and
found it -to be blunt- offensive.

Why not have an equally divisive and loaded question such as: "Are planning
policies and building codes to blame?"

This kind of 'poll'  -including the loaded question itself- detracts from any
kind of credibility the Australian might like to be portraying in its
reportage. As a social scientist, I find the poll question leading and
suggestive and overall, highly offensive. I suspect the question reveals little
more than the editors' opinions about anything and everything connected with
the term 'conservation' rather than any attempt at serious social analysis.

After more than a decade of employment in environmental anthropology, I am
tired of seeing the blame for wildfires placed conveniently on rangers and
conservation agencies when others are free to ignore basic guidelines about
wildfire prevention. I would hope that the entire community will look carefully
at broader planning policy in the face of the climate change that is already
upon us rather than dump upon a soft and easy target. This is not in any way
meant to detract from the tragedy or pain of those affected by this. Clearly,
there is no single factor to blame but a complex of factors -except where fires
were lit by arsonists.

Shame on the Australian for trying to create false blame to boost hits on their
web page and their editors' shallow egos.

Amanda Markham