birding-aus

Why do birders create State lists?

To: <>, <>
Subject: Why do birders create State lists?
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 18:16:40 +1100
Firstly apologies if this is hard to read - for some reason Internet Explorer
is appending the previous message straight after my text (and I would prefer to
keep the thread intact for this one).

Firstly, on Laurie's original question - I think the state lists probably
evolved from County lists in England (which still seem to be fairly important
if you look at some of the british bird sites). Plenty of birders still have
County lists and I am certain some would have LGA lists. The smaller
subdivisions probably only appear strange as we are lucky to have the whole
continent as one country - if we were like Europe or Africa there probably
would be no question of keeping "national" lists if each state was indeed a
country.

Why we don't also keep bioregional lists is probably two reasons - Firstly
people don't know really what they are (they are greater than habitats) and
secondly it would be almost impossible without access to GIS (or the actual
descriptions of the bioregions) it is difficult to know where the boundaries
are and so what Bioregion you are in (though boundaries are very fuzzy). Two
explain the first point, look at these websites for information on IBRA
Bioregions
(http://www.environment.gov.au/parks/nrs/science/bioregion-framework/ibra/index.html
 & http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/bioregions/BioregionsExplained.htm). One
of the most interesting things is that they are still Interim (hence the I)
even though I think they were first proposed in 1995. NSW has subdivided these
into subregions as many of the Bioregions are very large or cover very
differing areas of habitat (say the Blue Mountains versus the Cumberland Plain
are both part of the Sydney Basin Bioregion.

Government certainly does use Bioregions for assessing things, though we
usually use GIS on existing records to work out where they are. Some examples
of where NSW government uses Bioregions are:

Assessment of Biodiversity/Reservation across NSW (see the 2nd link above)
related to the NSW Biodiversity strategy (unfortunately the next one looks like
introducing another regionalisation based on basic land-use which is really
annoying)
Threatened species distributions for such things as land clearing applications
(PVPs) and BioBanking are now based on known and predicted occurence in
Bioregion subregions (split then again on CMA boundaries).
Reports (such as some of the modelling I did of threatened species distribution
in southern Sydney) looked at the reservetion status of these species across
the Bioregions we were working on.

They are a useful tool, but in many cases are not practical to use in the field
and be used for listing.
Cheers,
Peter