birding-aus

More Scarlet Chested Fun

Subject: More Scarlet Chested Fun
From: Donald Kimball <>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 20:17:58 -0800 (PST)
Heat and flies were well worth another visit to the Scarlet Chested Parrot site
this morning.  Hours later at aprox high noon I flushed a male (more than
likely same one as yesterday)  from feeding site in low shrubbery.   The
terrific thing about this bird is that once you freeze and pose no threat he
goes back to the task of rapidly shoving as many seed pods into his crop as
possible!

This time I pushed my luck and tried to get ultra close for filming but this
resulted in him keeping shrubbery between him and my camera lens during almost
the entire 10 min I was with this gorgeous little male.  I did manage a short
film clip of him in open though so count the whole thing day 2 of miracle
interaction with a rare and beautiful species!

Thanks to all for the heartwarming congratulatory emails!

Don