birding-aus

Those high tides

To: "Jill Dening" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Those high tides
From: "russ lamb" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 15:39:55 +1000
Jill,
     Went down to Toorbul yesterday morning to see the effect of the king tide.
Visited Donnybrook, Meldale , and along the Toorbul foreshore between 0930 and
1130. As expected all high tide roosts were well covered. The 'scope remained
in the car, and for the first time in many visits I didn't see one single wader.
      The Silver Gulls were happy on the grass, as were many Masked Lapwing,
and a pair of Pied Oystercatcher remained for a short time.I wasn't able to see
any flocks of waders flying up or down the Passage. Do we know where they go on
king tides? Further-up the Passage? To the ocean side of Bribie? Over to
Moreton Island?
         An interesting morning, made better by my first sighting of
Fork-tailed Swifts over Meldale, and Brolga on Bishop's Lagoon.

Russ Lamb, Maleny,SEQ