birding-aus

Lewin's Rail - SOPA

To: "birding-aus" <>, "Peter Abbott" <>
Subject: Lewin's Rail - SOPA
From: "Peter Madvig" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:54:48 +1100
Thanks to Peter Abbott and for other postings on this Lewin's Rail at SOPA,
Homebush, Sydney.

Twas getting pretty hot with the sun on my back, but after a 2 hour vigil, at
9.40am - this beautiful Lewin's Rail suddenly appeared!!! The 2 other birders
who had been there had only just left - sorry, I didn't introduce myself, so,
if you read this.....just a little longer would have rewarded you!!! (Isn't
that often the way?). I did wonder myself if I was being a bit optimistic, as
the sun had been out for hours.

The Rail, viewed in my scope, but so close that binos were more than adequate -
bathed and then proceeded to preen itself for ages...10 or so minutes. As he
faded into the reeds, the Spotless Crake then appeared and casually picked away
in the mud, right out in the open too.Northern end of pond, opposite fence and
in front of Papyrus type reeds.

Lovely birds, with crippling views :-)

Happy birding,
Peter Madvig