birding-aus

Australasian Darter at Birrarung Marr - Melbourne

To: <>, <>
Subject: Australasian Darter at Birrarung Marr - Melbourne
From: kailash willis <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:26:16 +1030
I’m not sure how common they are in the area but i did see one last week in
Altona

Kailash> To: > From: >
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:58:56 +1100> Subject: [Birding-Aus] Australasian
Darter at Birrarung Marr - Melbourne> > > I have just returned from a lunchtime
walk to Birrarung Marr on the Yarra.> Most of the usual suspects were there -
Common Myna, Common Starling, House> Sparrow, Feral Pigeon and Silver Gull -
but I was surprised to see an> Australasian Darter drying its plumage on the
floating rubbish trap. I> haven't seen any Darters in the area before.> > Other
birds present today were; White-faced Heron (stalking prey not more> than 2
metres from me), two Swans, both with neck bands, two Dusky Moorhens> and one
Little Black Cormorant. I didn't see any Rainbow Lorikeets, Red> Wattlebirds or
White-plumed Honeyeaters today but they are usually present.> > It was also
interesting to see 100s of small Galaxids, many small bream and> a few small