birding-aus

Australian Little Bittern in Brisbane

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Australian Little Bittern in Brisbane
From: robert morris <>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 21:59:19 +0000
Last night I went to check out a report of a male (Australian / Black-backed)
Little Bittern at Metroplex Wetlands in Brisbane - near the gateway bridge on
the south side of the river. Having spent hours looking for, and not seeing
them (at this and other sites) I wasn't hopeful. However, when I got to the
bridge on Borthwick Ave. (looking south i.e. not towards the Gateway Bridge) a
male Little Bittern was calling (a kind of soft croaky barking!) away quite
close by. I spent the next hour until it was dark listening but not seeing him!

This morning however, he was calling as it got light in the same area and at
5.30 sat on top of the rushes and then flew across the small wetland in typical
fasion landing and showing briefly before disappearing in more rushes. 30 mins.
later he was back on top (exactly where he went in) showing for about a minute
and that was it for the morning (as I had to come into the office). He was in
bright breeding plumage, and the calling would suggest he's settled in the area.

A Lewin's Rail was calling away this morning (the ticking call) but the water
levels are such that you'd be lucky to see it. I also had a small crake fly
across a pond (looked like Spotless but the views were too brief).

See:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=-27.453632,153.100716&spn=0.002823,0.005665&z=18

Rob Morris  Brisbane, Australia
Time for change? Find your ideal job with SEEK.
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Atl%3Ask%3Anine%3A0%3Ahottag%3Achange&_t=757263783&_r=SEEK_tagline&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org