birding-aus

Red-backed Button-quail (RBBQ) near Brisbane

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Red-backed Button-quail (RBBQ) near Brisbane
From: robert morris <>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 01:15:30 +0000
I have tried but failed to see RBBQ at Lake Samsonvale on several occasions
(they are easy to hear!). However this morning I saw at least 3 birds near
Wivenhoe Dam along Corcorans Rd (it's on the east side of the dam):
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=-27.244309,152.571859&spn=0.011313,0.022659&z=16

I was there early - my first bird was a Barn Owl sitting on the Corcorans Rd
sign in half light. I walked the track slowly but unfortunately still flushed
the first 2 birds off the track getting good flight views - but not views I
would count for a lifer! I then decided to stay still on the track with my
scope in an area where at least 2 (females? I assume) were making the booming
call intermittently. I'd decided that they obviously liked the track which may
have been because of the wet grass? After about 10 minutes a female came on to
the track and spent sometime coming and going from the trackside grass about
30m from me (I was surprised at how tiny she was - no bigger than little
button-quail I would guess). It did the same a few minutes later, eventually
sitting down in the grass in the middle of the track. On both occasions I only
saw her from the back / side, never front on. After nothing for 15 minutes I
walked slowly towards where I last seen her, and she flew up from under my
feet. I wished I'd been more patient, but it confirmed that the other 2 birds
were the same species.

There were also 4 or 5 family parties of Plum-headed finches feeding in seeding
flowers along the track. If you've only ever seen a**e-end views of RBBQs
flying away, I recommend giving this site a try.

Kind regardsRob Morris  Brisbane, Australia