birding-aus

RFI Strezliki Tract and Gluepot

To: (Birding-Aus)
Subject: RFI Strezliki Tract and Gluepot
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 00:56:44 +0000
Hey all,

Well i'm half way though my trip around Australia and things have been going
great. Actually they've been going so well that I have tons of time left and
about 14 days to bird SA, Vic, and NSW and I have no clue about any places
there. So this is a plea for help! Also the archieves are down right now so I
can't search anything. Which stinks. Anyways if anyone could please send me
some info on the following places I would love it. Also any suggestions of
other areas, cause I am very flexible. I am going to try and check my e-mail
later today again, and hopefully in a day or two, so quick replys would be very
appreciated. thanks.

Strezliki Tract
This road is birdable in a 2wd right?
I've been told 26 km up the tract is good for CB Whiteface.
What are some other spots for other good birds? Eyrean Grasswren, TB Grasswren
(is this even possible?). Also Orange Chat, Gibberbird, WF Chat, Chirruping
Wedgebill, Cimmamon Thrush, Rufous Fieldwren?

Flinders
Any advice on finding the Short-tailed Grasswren. I was told Stoke's Hill
Lookout between Bliman and Wilpena. Any other info?

Gluepot.
What are some good locations at this spot? I need pretty much all the southern
birds, but I guess some of my main targets would be (and I dont even know if
all these are possible, like i said i have never looked at any of the southern
bird loactions before) Mallefowl, Regent Parrot, Elegent Parrot, SC Parrot,
Striated Grasswren, Shy Heathwren, SB Thornbill, Purple-gaped HE, Yellow-plumed
HE, Chesnut Quail Thrush, Soutern Scrub Robin, Gilberts and Red-lored Whistler.

Also any spots for Malle Emu-wren and Black-eared Miner?

Any other suggestions for other locations would be great too. Like I said, I
was totally caught off guard having done so well so far.

At the moment though I'm stuck in Alice Springs and the car is at the mechanics
right now. Hopefully I'll be good to go later today though. For anyone
interested i'm 20 days into the trip, have gone 11500 km and am up to 358
species for the trip. About 120 lifers. Cairns highlights included RN Crake,
Cassowary, BF Parrot Finch, BF Finch, and Eungella HE and BBBQ on the way up.
Easily got Kalkdoon Grasswren and Carpitarian GW in Mt. Isa. Actually watched
the Carpitarian grasswren for an hour in full view from 10 meters away from my
car with the scope! Amazing pics of it. Darwin highlights included both
rock-pigeons, all 9 finches (in one day), partridge pigeon, chestnut rail
(heard only), Brown Bobby (sitting in a tree), Rufous Owl, and a surprising
amount of hooded parrots. Alice has been good too. Dusky Grasswren and RC Emu
Wren. Found a pair of emu wren with three recent fledlings. Got great views and
some good pics. Also Spinifexbird, Black Honeyeater, Bourke's Parrot, and
  Bande
d Whiteface (surprisingly found at Kunoth Well).

Okay thats all for now that's for any help

Good Birding,
Ross Gallardy
currently in Alice Springs